Sunday, August 9, 2009

Journeys old and new

I started this blog as a way for family and friends to keep up on my life overseas. It has turned out that I have enjoyed writing this blog as much as many people have enjoyed reading it. It has become almost a therapy for me. I had no intentions of continuing bonvoyoz after my journey ended, but I have come to the oh so symbolic realization that the journey never ends. LIfe is one big journey, and although trips overseas, marriage, kids, mortgages, pets, plants, and other adventures may seem like the only journeys we take, I have come to realize that everyday is a journey in and of itself. I know, I know, I sound like some sort of spiritual, pot smoking, dread wearing, patchouli loving hippie, but its true. My journey is not over, and getting back into the "real" world of grad school, work, apt, car, health insurance, etc is my current journey. Since writing has become my new therapy, I have decided to let bonvoyoz live on. It may not be as exciting as it once was, with waterfalls, temples, meeting people of every nationality, and smoking god knows what on boat trips, but it will be my therapy none the less.

So, getting back to the states was in one word, weird. I landed in LA on Monday July 20th, and was instantly reminded of why I left LA years ago. Traffic. No need to say anymore. Traffic sucks. I had an amazing time bonding with my brother, his girlfriend and his dog and cat. We went to a CD release party of a band called "billy boy on poison", a free concert in the park, got my tattoo covered up with a kick ass koi fish, and overall had a great time. I caught up with friends who still live in LA, and got 11 inches of my hair cut off and donated it to locks of love. So basically with the new tatt, and new hair, I look completely different than when i left. This is perfectly fitting, because I am a completely different person. I am completely different in all completely good ways. As I said to my friend kate, in a joking manner (sort of joking) I am wayyy cooler than when I left. I hope I don't lose my relaxing, chilled out, go with the flow, open minded, easy going attitude any time soon.

After LA, I went to San Fran for a few days, and then hit up Colorado for a family reunion. It was wonderful to see even more family. I had some great bonding sessions with my cousins, and a gorgeous hike in the rockies. I always forget how you can really feel the altitude up there. I felt like my lungs were going to collapse at one point, and then I remembered that I am so horrifically out of shape, its probably not the lack of oxygen, but rather the excess of food, and booze I have overly consumed the last year. Shit, I think I need a detox.

I finally got back to the dirty jerz about a week ago. I found an Apt my first day here, and I am pretty excited about it. I will be living with a girl named Lisa. She is a friend of a friend, and she seems pretty chill, and sweet. So lets keep our fingers crossed she is actually a neat neat chick! I start classes in a few weeks, and will be meeting my academic advisor who has so far been completely useless. Lets hope she shapes up, or maybe ill be shipping out! (Side note: I think one day I will try to write a blog with as many cliches as possible, I think I would do a phenomenal job). I have spent a lot of time with my friends in Hoboken. Its been wonderful to see familiar faces, but it is truly shocking how nothing changes. Everyone is basically doing the same thing, hanging with the same people, have the same personalities, with the same dramas. How is it possible that I have changed so much, and the people around me have changed so little. hmmm... time to contemplate... OH YEAH, its because i went on the journey of a freaking lifetime!

My journey is continuing. It may not be the same journey I set out on nine months ago, but it is sill going on, and Im still going to write and have self induced therapy. Please continue to read, hopefully I wont bore you.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I've LOVED reading your blog these last few months!!!!

Just a Girl Named Kate said...

I love that you see that your adventure continues!! XOXO love reading your blog!