Sunday, May 3, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Don't get excited, I'm not "home" or coming "home" any time soon. But I am "home" for the time being. In fact while talking about "home", what exactly does that mean these days? People keep asking me when I am heading home. And I truly dont really know where home is anymore. I mean, in the last 8 years I have lived in 3 different states, and 7 different cities. That is a LOT of moving around. So where exactly is "home"? I still think it is the United States, but is it NH? Maine? NYC? Los Angles? or somewhere that I haven't even lived yet? All I know is at the moment "home" is Adelaide Australia.

I am officially settled into Andrew's house. I have a key, I have a dresser (albeit sitting in the ikea box waiting to be built) and I have a bed on the way. I have a scooter at my disposal, I have a library card, and all I need is a job. It was nice to come back to Adelaide. It is a familiar city and I'm glad to be here. However, if I don't find a job soon I'll be in trouble. I wonder if working the corner is illegal here??? hmmm...

The last couple weeks have been great. After I arrived in Alice Springs I went on a 3 day trip to Uluru, Kings Cannon, and the surrounding area. I know Uluru is supposed to be this magnificent spiritual place, but honestly it is just a massive rock in the middle of some flat lands. I was MUCH MUCH more impressed with Kings Canon. It was really quite beautiful and the views were gorgeous, On the 3 day trip we once again camped out in swags underneath the stars. Although unlike the Kakadu's it was absolutely freezing at night. I was bundled with every item of warm clothing I owned, in a sleeping bag, and swag, and scarf, in order to sleep. brrr. I think it got down to about 8-10 degrees Celsius. I'm glad I made it to the outback and saw the nothingness of the area, but Uluru really wasn't all that impressive. Sorry Australia, but I think driving though Utah is just, if not more spectacular.

I then went to Sydney for 36 hours to get a bag I left there, and return a bag to my friend China. After my short Sydney stint I was off again to Adelaide. I got here early on thurs morning and am fully engaged in a job search. I am starting off looking for something in my previous field of Commercial Production. Ill see if I can get a gig with a company who loves me and wants to sponsor me. But if nothing comes up in the next 2 weeks Ill lower my goals and try to get a job waiting tables. Hopefully someone will want to hire an american girl. I have an interview thingy tomorrow morning at 9am with the CEO of a small boutique agency here. He said there are no positions available, but the e-mail I sent to him intrigued him and he would be willing to chat. Maybe he knows someone. I guess we will find out. That means today I have to go and buy a pair of pants and some shoes. I don't think my holed jeans, and flip-flops will impress too much. Everything I own has turned into a light brown color. Everything has gotten beyond ruined. Good thing I didn't bring out nice clothes. However I need some more clean wife beaters in white and black. I seem to LIVE in them day and night and can't find them here. So if anyone feels the need to send out a care package you can get me fruit of the loom, mens small wife beaters. hint hint. :) You can purchase them at Target and they come in 3-4 in a pack for like $8. Im more than happy to send my mailing address along to anyone who wants it. Haha.

It is the start of winter here, and has been quite chilly at night. I am losing my tan, (VERY upset about this) but I am happy to be wearing jeans and not profusely sweating while just standing doing nothing. However, I wouldn't mind it being beach weather to enjoy the outdoors a bit. I went to my first Australian Rules Football match on Saturday. Well actually I went to two. In the morning I went to Andrews game, learned the rules and got my bearings. His team won by like a million points. And, the eye candy on the filed wasn't too bad either. That night I went to the professional teams game. It was the local rivalry of the Adelaide Crows, vs. the Port Adelaide Power. Seeing as how I am living with a HUGE crows fan, and his family was the one who gave me my tix I figure it would only be right to be a crows fan myself. (Although the Power's colors are much prettier. Who doesn't love turquoise??) It was really fun to watch the game. AFL is similar to rugby, and american football, and soccer all mixed into one. Rough sport, but fun to watch. The Crows lost pretty terribly, but it was still a great night!

That about sums up my last couple of weeks. This blog was kinda all over the place. But I am happy to report that I am Home for now, and enjoying not moving every two days. I have my shampoo in the shower, and my toothbrush by the sink. I have a dresser to put clothes in and I can look forward to not living out of a bag for a while! phew!

No comments: